The Government have published the Civil Society Strategy (pdf) which sets out how they will work with and support civil society in the years to come, to build a country that works for everyone.
Published in August 2018, the strategy is composed of the following segments:
- People: ‘People taking action is the bedrock of a strong society’
- Places: ‘Global Britain’ is rooted in ‘local Britain’
- The Social Sector: ‘A strong social sector is a sign of a strong democracy’
- The Private Sector: ‘Business done right is a force for good in society’
- The Public Sector: ‘The government’s vision for public services in the
modern era is one of collaborative commissioning’
The Government will:
- Run the Place Based Social Action programme with the Big Lottery Fund. The programme helps communities to collaborate with local private and public sector organisations to create a shared vision for the place they live and work in
- Launch a new Innovation in Democracy programme. This programme will pilot participatory democracy approaches, whereby people are supported to take part in the decision-making that affects their communities
- Build further its support for responsible business and will update on its approach in 2019
- Support the spread of Citizen Commissioners – local people supported to make commissioning decisions on behalf of their communities.