Demos published an analysis of anti-Islamic content on twitter (pdf) in April 2017.
The Centre for the Analysis of Social Media analysed messages on Twitter algorithmically considered to be derogatory towards Muslims from March 2016 to March 2017.
The analysis found that:
- Approximately 400 tweets a day are sent from the UK that are considered derogatory towards Muslims
- These tweets fall into a number of different categories, from directed, angry insults to broader political statements
- Events, especially terrorist attacks, drive large increases in derogatory tweets
- Derogatory tweets are sent from every region of the UK; more in London and the North West
- A small number of accounts are responsible for many of the tweets containing derogatory language