Human rights and equality in the voluntary sector. Report of a pilot project by the British Institute of Human Rights (BIHR) and the Equality and Diversity Forum (EDF) was published by the Equality and Human Rights Commission on 10 December 2010 (International Human Rights Day).
The report is the result of a pilot project exploring how voluntary organisations that work in the equalities field are using human rights concepts, language and tools in their work. The pilot was carried out by the British Institute of Human Rights (BIHR) and the Equality and Diversity Forum (EDF) with funding from the Equality and Human Rights Commission (the Commission).
The report covers:
- The aims and methodology of the project.
- The links between equality and human rights.
- Why human rights might be particularly useful to organisations working on equalities.
- How equalities organisations are using human rights now.
- What barriers hold equalities voluntary organisations back from making greater use of human rights and how these might be overcome.