Oxfam published a report on income inequality, ‘An economy for the 99%,’ in January 2017. The report noted that just eight men own the same wealth as the poorest half of the world.
Oxfam provided a blueprint for an alternative economic model, in which:
- Governments work for the 99%;
- Governments cooperate, not just compete;
- Companies work for the benefit of everyone;
- Extreme concentration of wealth is ended, to end extreme poverty;
- The economy works equally for men and women;
- Technology will be harnessed for the interests of the 99%;
- The economy is powered by sustainable renewable energy; and,
- We value and measure what really matters.