In June 2014, the Ministry of Justice provided updated information on a number of human rights reports to the United Nations (UN):
- ICESCR (International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights): the 6th periodic report has just been submitted to the UN.
- Common Core Document: this has also been submitted to the UN with the ICESCR report.
- CAT (Convention Against Torture): the follow up info the UN requested has been submitted to the UN.
- ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights): the Ministry of Justice understands the UK is going to be examined in July 2015 (in October 2014, the UN is expected to adopt the list of issues in preparation of the examination).
- UPR (Universal Periodic Review): the Ministry of Justice is still aiming to circulate the Mid Term Report before September, and allow a reasonable time for factual comments.
The Universal Periodic Review is the process through which the human rights records of the UN Member States are periodically reviewed.
Information on how to submit ‘shadow’ reports (from the National Human Rights Institutions and civil society organisations) to the UN under the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR).